© 2008 Karkia Industries All rights reserved
Risk Based Inspection (RBI)
All process equipment is subject to degradation mechanisms. It is the task of the inspection department to have a solid grip on the status of the equipment. The inspection is usually done by predetermined time intervals. But there is a big disadvantage to this inspection strategy:
many inspections are performed without really knowing the status of the inspected objects. Equipment is taken out of service without necessity. A time and money consuming operation.
What is RBI?
Risk Based Inspection (RBI) is a tool that:
- Categorizes risks
- Prioritizes the planned inspections
- Helps plan future inspections and priorities
- Identifies risk for overlooked influences
- Identifies risk changes due to maintenance and inspection actions
"Risk" combines the likelihood of an event with its consequence. The maximum height of this risk has a direct influence on the hazards that are acceptable. Some hazards with little effect will be accepted, while others with a
large effect will be rejected.
To determine the maximum damage factors
calculated with the RBI program, Applus RTD
can prioritize the inspection scope and use
on-stream monitoring techniques. This way,
the interruption of the production process
and the risk are minimized and the reduction
of the damage factors gets maximized.
The outcome is an inspection plan based on
the risk factors and monitoring the damage
factors throughout the time, adapting these
factors in the RBI-inspection program and leaving the equipment unopened until the maximum is reached. This way the integrity program is risk reducing and cost saving.
RBI main Aims
- Inspection interval extension
- Better know-how of installation
- Inspections are more specific
- Better database to learn from
- More and easier to access knowledge
- Better justification of maintenance regime towards governmental bodies
- Money saving
- Time saving
- Solid inspection plan
- Integrity status of the equipment
API 581 Appendix O RBI
EEMUA 159 RBI
RTD RBI (fast screening)